"I'm winning you with words because I have no other way."
--Jaymay

Friday, September 7, 2012

Bridges

I'll take my time with this now, thinking that you wanna hear.  Maybe if I try hard enough I'll beat the fear of what they say between the kisses and the disses and the pointed looks at the people they think are queer.
You think we're different, but we've still got the same blood.  It's red and thin and it threatens to come out if you cough.  It smells like something died in here, maybe because you turned your back.
Despite all that, we all have a common goal: to get out of this place and try to win it all.  But the truth is we are waiting for the same fate: too tight of jeans, with a baby in a milk crate.

You see I try to build a bridge between these two worlds
But the Earth comes up and swallows it whole
And I stand there, dumb, foolish, and cracked
And the people on the other side just pass by

They never say

Who's over there, who's that lonely soul
Is there something I should do?
Is there something I should say?
I can see the future, and I don't think it's headed the right way.

But I'll just go on with my life the way it should.

Becuase the people in the huts in another part of town aren't doing much to me except occasionally getting me down.
I write a note, saying let's give ten bucks to a fund, and then I'm good for another year, or I'm just done.
The jig's up, I care as much as you do. 
But it's not all enough to help the children who got stuck without a mom, lost their face in a fire.  The one's whose dads sleep with guns and wires. 
And I know for a fact that it's too much to ask that we all have to feel with every inch for as long as we last.  After a while, you lose track of what is real, and you try to get it back when you kneel.  You're crying out, "Lord, I'm tryin' to save redemption.  But it feels as if I'm not a part of that exemption.  Is there a place where I don't have to sit with my hands in my pockets and my head bowen to my hips?"

And the bridge I tried to build between those two worlds
Just broke down right there, it fell into the Earth.
Now I stand there, not moving, not thinking, but weeping.
And the people on the other side never stopped to ask
Who I am, or who I was or what they need to do to lift me up.

I see the future, and yeah, it looks pretty bad.
But I'll just live my life, the way it should.

2 comments: